Parish Council’s across Warwickshire will be supported to create their own climate emergency action plans thanks for Warwickshire County Council Green Shoots Funding.
The Warwickshire and West Midlands Association of Local Councils (WALC) were successful in their Green Shoots bid for £4950 in funding to provide two action planning days in January and March 2022 for Warwickshire’s Parish Councils to assist them in producing their own climate emergency action plans and to launch their own climate change mitigation and adaptation projects.
The three key outcomes that will be delivered by these planning days are:
- Warwickshire’s Parish Council’s will gain a deeper understanding of the issues surrounding climate change and the climate emergency;
- Council’s will understand the difference between climate change adaptation and mitigation activity and how these can be delivered; and
- Council’s will understand the importance of climate change action and communication planning and be empowered to deliver their own.
The first of these sessions will take place on Wednesday 19 January 2022 and the second on Wednesday 30 March 2022. These sessions will be run by the Centre for Sustainable Energy who WALC have commissioned.
The action planning days are just part of WALC commitment to support parish council’s to rise to the challenge of the climate change emergency, they also held a 2-day conference on Friday 22 October that covered a huge range of topics, including:
- Increasing biodiversity and returning native wildlife;
- Supporting communities to reduce their carbon footprint
- 20 actions Parish and Town Councils can take on the climate and nature emergency;
- Working with flood action groups; and
- Meeting 21 Century rural transport need in a sustainable way.
John Crossling, County Officer for WALC, said: “We have put together a wide ranging programme of talks and workshops all connected in some way to addressing the climate emergency.
“Our focus is very much on practical steps that Town and Parish Councils will be able to work on with their communities. We hope it will give them ideas that they will be able to turn into firm action plans at the two planning sessions in the New Year which will be led by the Centre for Sustainable Energy that have been made possible by the Green Shoots funding.”
Further information online about the Local Council Climate Action Day.
Further information online about the Warwickshire Association of Local Councils.